Pioneers Settling the Rogue Valley
By 1860, one of the three original Mountain House boys had died and another had moved on. The remaining partner, Hugh Barron, had married. His wife, Martha, worked alongside him, running the inn and post office while her husband raised crops, planted orchards, and brought herds of sheep and cattle to market. The property (seen in an engraving from the 1870's) grew to 8000 acres, and newspaper accounts show that for many years the Barrons (shown here) were the wealthiest taxpayers in Jackson County.